Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Mark Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> Though, if we *are* doing the template-repository dance, we'll have to
>> do that for a while, declare victory, then invoke the LTO front end,
>> and, finally, the actual linker, which will be a bit complicated.  It
>> might be that we should move the invocation of the real linker back into
>> gcc.c, so that collect2's job just becomes generating the right pile of
>> object files via template instantiation and static
>> constructor/destructor generation?
>
> For most targets we don't need to invoke collect2 at all anyhow,
> unless the user is using -frepo.  It's somewhat wasteful that we
> always run it.
>
> Moving the invocation of the linker into the gcc driver makes sense to
> me, especially if it we can skip invoking collect2 entirely.  Note
> that on some targets, ones which do not use GNU ld, collect2 does
> provide the feature of demangling the ld error output.  That facility
> would have to be moved into the gcc driver as well.

I agree that this sounds like the best long-term plan.  I'll try to work
out whether it's actually a short-term win for me to do anything to
collect2 at all; if not, then I'll just put stuff straight into the
driver, since that's what we really want anyhow.

Thanks for the feedback!

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery