[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> So, are we using "P1" instead to mark release-blocking bugs?  Should
> we fix the severities of existing bugs?

I am using priorities to indicate how important it is to fix a bug
before the next release.  This is consistent with the meanings of the
terms "priority" and "severity".  In particular, the "severity"
indicates how severe the problem is, if you are affected by the bug.
The "priority" indicates how important it is to fix it.  In various
commercial environments I've worked in, customers set "severity" (e.g.,
help, this bug is really getting in my way!) and developers/support set
"priority (this bug is affecting only one customer, so it's medium
priority).

So, that's a long answer, but basically: "yes, we're using P1 to mark
release-critical bugs".  Also, in the paradigm described above,
"blocker" should mean "blocks the user from making progress, there is no
workaround", not "blocks the release".  (In my experience, severities
are normally things like "mild", "critical", "emergency.)

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery