I'm tying to hunt down the cause of a bug I'm experiencing and it all boils down to a possible misunderstanding
on my part on the semantics of the 'aligned' attribute.

Is the 'aligned' attribute supposed to work for objects allocated on the stack (I'm on x86_64, gcc 4.1.1)?

The only caveat in the GCC documentation is about the linker not being able to honor an alignment request, but I'd guess that applies to globals. For dynamic and auto allocation seems to me that GCC has to generate the appropriate alignment code, but I haven't found any distinction between
different types of allocations in the documentations.

Thanks,

        Maurizio