On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, Diego Novillo wrote:
There was some discussion on IRC that I would like to move to the mailing list so that we get a wider discussion. There's been thoughts about skipping 4.2 completely, or going to an extended Stage 3, etc.
Thoughts?

I believe that going forward we should not branch for a release unless
we have a very clear plan, that is "We need to address these four bugs
and potential true blockers/evil regressions that are found before we
release", with a time horizon of maybe two weeks.

Either the release is nearly in shape, then we can branch, or it is
not, in which case we will have a starving release branch for too long
and most focus on Stage 1.

(At least this is the impression that I got; YMMV.)

Gerald