Marcin Dalecki wrote:

512MB is *certainly* resonable. It's the most common amount of shipping RAM for in esp. notebooks and it's what usually get's allocated to virtualization
solutions.

I agree 512M is reasonable (really a compiler taking more than
half a gigabyte for any normal sources is a bit wanton). But
in any case the memory requirement was only 550M here, not so
bad, and should be easily compilable on a 512M machine. Seems
like we still don't understand the problem here.

The complaint about building libjava taking too long is really
a separate issue, the question for this thread is to understand
why there was a failure, and as far as I can see we still don't
understand that.