On 02/11/2007 04:28 PM, Larry Evans wrote:
[snip]
I think a patch adding descriptions to the docs would be an improvement.
Would you like to submit one?

        Thanks,
        --Kaveh

I could, but the only thing I would do would be something like:

  The meaning of these flags can be inferred from the comments in
  gcc/config.in.

[snip]
I tried downloading and editying
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html; however, I soon ran into problems. Attached is a diff between the original .html and the
modifications I tried.  It shows that even the comments in config.in
are confusing :(

*** configure.html      2007/02/11 22:56:59     1.1
--- configure.html      2007/02/11 23:39:58
***************
*** 666,674 ****
explicitly requested.  Disabling
  assertions will make the compiler and runtime slightly faster but
  increase the risk of undetected internal errors causing wrong code to be
! generated.

!
 this option, the compiler is built to collect self coverage
  information, every time it is run.  This is for internal development
  purposes, and only works when the compiler is being built with gcc.  The
  <var>level</var> argument controls whether the compiler is built optimized or
--- 666,698 ----
explicitly requested.  Disabling
  assertions will make the compiler and runtime slightly faster but
  increase the risk of undetected internal errors causing wrong code to be
! generated.</p>

!      <p>The meaning of the flags (paraphrased from
http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/trunk/gcc/config.in?revision=120315&view=markup )
are as follows:
!        <ul>
!          <li>assert:
!            <p>Enables assertions. This is a cheap check.
!            </p>
!          </li>
!          <li>fold:
!            <p>fold checked that it never destructs its argument. This
!    is quite expensive.
!            </p>
!            <em>LJEvans:  This is unclear.  What is fold.  Is it a
!            function?  If so, does this assure that that function never
!            destructs the arguments passed through the argument list?
!            If so, when would this be useful.  I guess this would only
!            mean something to someone already familiar with the
!            compiler.  If so, there needs to be a link to some
!            documentation of fold.
!            </em>
!          </li>
!        </ul>
!      </p>
!
!      </dd>
!
!
 this option, the compiler is built to collect self coverage
  information, every time it is run.  This is for internal development
  purposes, and only works when the compiler is being built with gcc.  The
  <var>level</var> argument controls whether the compiler is built optimized or
*** 1004,1007 ****

! </body></html>
\ No newline at end of file
--- 1028,1031 ----