Vladimir Makarov wrote:
>  On Sunday I had accidentally chat about the df infrastructure on
> IIRC.  I've got some thoughts which I'd like to share.
>
>  I like df infrastructure code from the day one for its clearness.
> Unfortunately users don't see it and probably don't care about it.

You're right that users don't care what the guts of the compiler look
like.  That's exactly right: they care only about about the speed of the
compiler, the speed of the generated code, correctness of the generated
code, overall quality, etc.

However, my understanding (as someone who's not an expert on the DF code
base) is that, as you say, the new stuff is much tidier.  I understood
the objective to be not so much that DF itself would directly improve
the generated code, but rather than it would provide much-need
infrastructure that would allow future improvements.  This is a lot like
TREE-SSA which, by itself, wasn't so much about optimization as it was
about providing a platform for optimization.

Obviously, making sure that the DF code isn't actively hurting us when
it goes into the compiler is part of the agreed-upon criteria.  But, I
don't think it needs to markedly help at this point, as long as people
are comfortable with the interfaces and functionality it provides.

>  So could be somebody from steering committee be kind and answer me
>
>    Is it (prohibiting to use other dataflow schemes) steering committee
>  decision?

No, the Steering Committee has not considered this issue.  As you
suggest, I don't think it's something the SC would want to consider;
it's a technical issue.  I'd certainly think that it would be good for
all passes to use the DF infrastructure.

However, if there were really some special case where we could do
markedly better without it, and no feasible way to give the special-case
information to the core DF code, then I'm sure everyone would agree that
it made sense to use something different.  But, that would be only in
extraordinary situations, rather than having lots of reinvention of the
same infrastructure.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery