On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 12:27:42AM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
>...  *All* releases seem to have the
> predictions that they are useless, should be skipped because the next
> release will be so much better in way X or Y, etc.; I think the question
> of how widely used a release series turned out to be in practice may be
> relevant when deciding after how many releases the branch is closed, but
> simply dropping a release series after the branch is created is pretty
> much always a mistake.  (When we rebranded 3.1 as 3.2 in the hopes of
> getting a stable C++ ABI, I think that also with hindsight was a mistake,
> given that the aim was that the stable ABI would also be the correct
> documented ABI but more ABI bugs have continued to turn up since then.)

I agree.  To me, the only issue with 4.2 is the performance drop due to
aliasing issues; whether to address that by reverting patches to have 4.1
performance + 4.1 bugs, or by backporting fixes from 4.3, I would leave
for the experts to decide (except that I don't think it's shippable
without some solution to the performance drop).