Mark Mitchell wrote:

Vladimir Makarov wrote:

I remember nocona tunning gave 30% improvement SPECFp2000 for Intel
nocona in 64 bit mode in comparison with the default x86_64 gcc tuning
(for k8).  So such big improvement is definetly mostly from new
-mtune=generic.

Well, then, lets get numbers for other targets!  I'd love to see the
same data for PowerPC, MIPS, etc.  This discussion will be much more
productive in the presence of data.  There are no absolutes: it's not
"we can't ship with bugs", "we can't ship with performance regressions",
etc.  We've got to balance quality on various axes, and to do that we
need to know the numbers.

I'd put Amd x86_64 first beacuse x86_64 gcc4.1 was tuned for this processor. Unfortunately, I have no available Amd machine for SPEC and can not help. Sorry.