On 3/21/07, Nicholas Nethercote <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Paul Brook wrote:

> The problem is that I don't think writing a detailed "mission statement" is
> actually going to help anything. It's either going to be gcc contributors
> writing down what they're doing anyway, or something invented by the SC or
> FSF. I the latter case nothing's going to change because neither the SC nor
> the FSF have any practical means of compelling contributors to work on a
> particular feature.
>
> It's been said before that Mark (the GCC release manager) has no real power to
> make anything actually happen. All he can do is delay the release and hope
> things get better.

Then it will continue to be interesting, if painful, to watch.

It's not clear what you think would happen and be fixed if he did.

Realistically, compile time will not be solved until someone with an
interest in solving it does the hard work (and before starting any
huge projects, posits a reasonable way to do whatever major surgery
they need to, so they can get community buy-in. Note that this is not
actually hard, but it does require not just submitting huge patches
that do something you've never discussed before on the ML).

This won't change no matter what you do.
You simply can't brow-beat people into fixing huge things, and i'm not
aware of a well-functioning open-source project that does.

If you want to help fix compile time, then get started, instead of
commenting from the sidelines.
As they say, "Patches welcome".

--Dan