On Apr 1, 2007, at 10:42 PM, Joe Buck wrote:

On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 02:20:10PM +0200, Marcin Dalecki wrote:

Wiadomość napisana w dniu 2007-04-01, o godz13:58, przez Paul Brook:

If you're already switching compilers, moving to an already
obsolete release
(3.3) seems a strange choice. At this point I'd recommend skipping 3.x
altogether and going straight to gcc4.1/4.2.

Many of the improvements in c++ code generation were as a result of
tree-ssa,
you only get with 4.x.

I wouldn't recommend it. One has to adapt gradually to the patience
required to
use the later compiler editions.

No, one does not have to adapt gradually. It is no harder to switch from 2.95 to 4.1.2 than it is to switch from 2.95 to 3.3. Either way, you'll have to get out a C++ book, learn C++, and recode your code in actual C++. There will be some cases where going to 3.3 will require fewer changes,
but the majority of the work is going to have to be done anyway.

I believe the point being made was about compile times, not conformance.

-Chris