Joe Buck write:
>If the Windows version of GCC has to recognize __declspec to function
>as a hosted compiler on Windows, then the work already needs to be done
>to implement it.

Well, I'm kinda surprised that Windows verision of GCC recognizes
__declspec.  The implementation is just a simple macro, and could've just
as easily been implemented in a runtime header, as the MinGW runtime does.

> So what's the harm in allowing it on other platforms?

Probably none, but since the macro can be defined on the command line
with "-D__declspec(x)=__attribute__((x))" defining it by default on
other platforms is only a minor convenience.

>If it makes it easier for Windows programmers to move to free compilers
>and OSes, isn't that something that should be supported?

I suppose that would argue for unconditionally defining the macro
regardless of the platform.

                                        Ross Ridge