2007/4/7, Robert Dewar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> A solution is using the -shared option to generate ".so" library.

That does not solve things in environments like embedded
environments where there are no shared libraries.

Use -Os and "strip --strip-all". And remove code if you don't like it.

> Another future solution is pack the big ".so" library with UPX
> (Ultimate Packer for eXecutables) or extend the ELF format to
> permit pack the sections with GZ, BZ2 or LZMA.

We are worried about code space in memory, not space on disk!

Or extend the ELF format to permit pack non-solidly or solidly (=>
slower stream)
the many subsections with GZ, BZ2, UPX or LZMA (<=1MiB to uncompress e.g.).
Theirs buffers are very small to permit to raise an exception.
Like squashfs for embedded systems instead cramfs.