Ross> So long as whatever switch is used to enable this check isn't on by
Ross> default and its effect on code size and speed is documented, I don't
Ross> think it matters that much what those effects are.  Anything that works
Ross> should make the people concerned about security happy.   People more
Ross> concerned with size or speed aren't going to enable this feature.

I think it would be preferable to default to being safe, and let
people who are concerned about shaving every byte or cycle disable the
check.

I suppose I think this because I have a preference for safety, and
also because I suspect that the cost of this will be small.  Naturally
the latter should be measured first.

Tom