Sorry about the (possibly off) question: would this apply also to
GMP/MPFR, if not, wouldn't it make sense?

GMP and MPFR are host libraries, so it is actually an independent
issue. However, it might be worth having --with-static-gmp and
--with-static-mpfr to request static linking of these libraries into
the compiler. I think I suggested the idea (maybe even a patch, but I
can't find it in the mailing-list archives) when gmp/mpfr was still
only used by Fortran.

In the end, some people will think it's stretching the configury too
much for a specific purpose, and some people will think it's just a
good option to have. (I'm in the second group.) Let's wait and see
what people think of the idea.

FX