Andreas Krebbel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> What I'm curious about is why this didn't occur earlier?!  The symbol
> is available since 2003 and I can hardly imagine that no platform was
> ever in need of it till now.

To answer that, I'm afraid my patch is to blame:

2007-04-24  Richard Sandiford  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

        * optabs.c (set_conv_libfunc): Prefer libgcc2's __ffsMM2 functions
        over an external ffs function.

We used to use ffs to implement __builtin_ffs if sizeof (int),
even if libgcc provided a suitable alternative.  This broke targets
whose C libraries don't provide their own ffs.

__ffssi2 was effectively dead code on many targets until now.

Richard