I agree. Also, the LTO requirements and high-level design document
states that the external format should be "compiler-independent" and it
should be possible for other tools to read and write that format. Is
this still a goal? It would require a separate design with a distinct
API to read and write code. This work could be done in parallel. The
document mentions a GNU Virtual Machine. Would that be abandoned for a
tuple-like external representation?

Jan