"H.J. Lu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > I'm also uncertain as to just who approved the commit of
> > libgcc/config/libbid into mainline.  When I look at the code I see

> Both x86 maintainer and build/libgcc maintainer reviewed the patch.

I must have missed the approval from a libgcc maintainer.

> > that it is not formatted to the GNU standard, and it includes C++
> > style comments which we do not normally use in C code.
>
> This library is a general BID library developed at Intel, not just
> for gcc. Can we have an exception or some compromise?

Well, perhaps we can.  But I would have expected that the time to
discuss an exception or compromise would be before the commit.

> > I'm also uncertain as to the relationship of the code in gcc mainline
> > and the code at Intel.  This code was written at Intel and I see there
> > is now a ChangeLog entry which starts
> >     Updated from Intel BID library:
> > Where can the Intel BID library sources be found?  What license is it
> > under?  What should happen with changes that we want to make to the
> > libbid sources now in mainline?  Should we send them back to Intel?
> >

> > I see that bid_intrinsics.h has a #ifdef IN_LIBGCC2 which seems
> > redundant for code that is in libgcc.
>
> The beta Intel BID library was announced at

> which has a BSD license. The one submitted to gcc is under GPL v2
> + exception. This library isn't just for libgcc.  We'd like to keep
> libbid in gcc as close to Intel BID library as possible. I would
> prefer bug to be fixed in Intel BID library first if all possible.  We
> should track gcc libbid bugs in gcc bugzilla. We can add a new libbid
> component and assign all libbid bugs to me.

Is there any public access to the source code control of the Intel BID
library?  I don't see how we can fix bugs in the Intel BID library
first otherwise.  I appreciate that you are able to change both.  But
we shouldn't make plans for gcc based on the premise that you will
continue to work at Intel indefinitely.

And where is this information documented?

Ian