Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Alexandre Oliva <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>

>> See why imprecise abstractions are a problem, and why lowering
>> abstractions just because it's possible ATM, without any performance
>> or maintainability gains to justify them, is a losing proposition in
>> the long run?
>>

> To be blunt: no, I don't.  I see a set of hypothetical possibilities,
> none of which I consider to be at all likely.

To be even more blunt, I never viewed no_new_pseudos as a useful abstraction
It was a gate that protected a set of badly designed concrete
datastructures.
Those datastructures are gone, and since I (perhaps even we) never
viewed it as being an abstraction, I (we) are confused at the discussion
of what to replace the "abstraction" with.

I am a middle-end person with only cursory knowledge of the backends.
>From the middle end's point of view, casting the pseudos in terms of
reload/register allocation is in fact exactly the right abstraction.
Before register allocation, you have an infinite number of registers and
after register allocation, you only have what the machine provides.
No_new_psuedos was there to put an extra layer there because of a set of
unfortunate datastructure decisions, but the proper interface for the
backends is that they can behave in a manner where they have in infinite
number or registers before register allocation and only the fixed
registers after register allocation.

I would very much like ian to put in his patch and i will redo my patch
for the middle end and lets move on.

kenny