This discussion has gotten far too abstract for me.

Alexandre, please write your own patch, and we will approve it or not.
Or tell us how you think my patch should be changed.

Give us code, not discussion.  I have already spent more time writing
e-mail messages than I've spent writing the patch.

> > Since we have no reason to believe that the backend should not
> > create new pseudo-registers before register allocation,
>
> How about during local or global?  These are part of register
> allocation, they're not covered by the macro you proposed, but one
> might assume they are by looking at the macro name.  At which point,
> which meaning would be right?

I think regalloc_started_p is pretty unambiguous.  If it mattered, we
would make it true after local-alloc starts.  At the moment it doesn't
matter.

Ian