Vladimir,

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Vladimir N. Makarov wrote:
> Sorry, it is even make me a bit scary becuase I don't know when the SC
> decides that we need more maintainers and what maintainers.  When should
> we propose. After that I am just starting to think who usually propose
> them.

I know this thread is a bit old, but this part I wanted to respond
nevertheless (and had kept in my TODO folder therefore).

The SC does not fill the role of the project manager of a regular software
development project, and as such the SC rarely (if at all) sits down and
decides that we need more maintainers and what maintainers, not the least
because, after all, this is a volunteer project.

Maintainers are usually proposed when one of us notices good and ongoing
contributions by someone, or when someone else (sometimes a maintainer of
the respective part, sometimes even not a maintainer at all) suggests
someone else, or someone raises the question him- or herself.  And when
there is a new piece contributed we usually try to find a maintainer from
the beginning, the original contributor(s) being primary candidates.

In other words, if you anyone in mind, please do not hesitate to contact
a SC member of your choice and he will take it from there!

Gerald

PS: I know that we do have a problem with the role of GWP and how these
are being lived and filled (or not).  This is a tough nut that does not
have an easy solution, I'm afraid.