skaller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Neko, for example, uses a register. AFAIK MLton does the
> same kind of thing. If gcc team thinks ANY register is free
> to steal they'd be wrong -- that doesn't mean it shouldn't
> be used, just that it definitely is NOT free.

To be clear, it is not the gcc team which is stealing the register.
As I said earlier, TLS (i.e., __thread) was defined by Sun.  They
defined the implementation for i386 and SPARC.  Other organizations
have carried it forward to other processors.  Here is the Sun
documentation:
    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-1984/6mhm7pl2a
TLS is implemented via a combination of the compiler, the system
library, and the kernel.

As I said before, the register is only stolen for code which actually
uses TLS.

Ian