On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> > If only static libraries are being built, it may be possible to build them
> > without linking, and in such cases it may be possible to define a generic
> > set of libc symbols considered to be present, as libstdc++-v3/configure.ac
> > does with newlib.
>
> Do you understand how MIPS/Power works?  I'd really like to know what
> the difference is.  It might be an easy difference to resolve, or there
> might be something more fundamental, but before we do anything I'd like
> to know why one works and the other doesn't.

I don't, but IIRC one thing that was necessary at one time for
CRIS (cris-elf; supposedly bare-metal newlib) was to a bit
hackishly copy the libgloss startup files to the newlib build
directory where they were expected as per
<http://sourceware.org/ml/newlib/2005/msg00089.html>.

You'll get a "X is not implemented and will always fail" warning
from linking with the non-working default stub functions when
not linking in any board-support package, so IMHO there are no
false pretenses about having built a correct program.

Not a proposed solution, just a datapoint of the hackery that's
pragmatically and historically been needed.  I think at the
time, I just noticed that a toolchain that built (might have
been ppc, might have been mips) happened to have a stub crt0.o
in a place that corresponded to search paths (newlib rather than
libgloss) when linking.

brgds, H-P