On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 08:16:22PM -0800, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:
>
> >> Perhaps we should turn target-libgfortran off by default for mips*-elf*.
> >
> >    No. There is a point in excercising the compiler: Testing. In most cases,
> > you don't find problems with the compiler until you try to compile
> > something.
>
> When building the compiler and its libraries, testing is of incidental
> benefit; the primary goal is to build things. :-)   The testsuite is for
> testing things.

   The benefit is the same, incidental or not. We have the testsuite as a
result of someone trying to build something with the compiler and not being
satisfied with the result. Alternatively, think of libfortran as a testsuite
in itself. :-)

> It's great to know that gfortran works for other ELF targets.  That
> means that there must be something a bit odd in the MIPS support
> somewhere, and I'm sure we can find it and fix it.

   I think so too. IIRC, of the *-elf targets that don't currently work with
libfortran, one runs into a memory access trap and the others have a link
failures due to a missing symbol.

> It sounds like we upgraded libtool, and that introduced link-time tests
> into libstdc++, which caused build failures.  So you came up with the
> top-level patch, which then probably made it possible to build some of
> the other target libraries that didn't build before for bare metal
> because they had always depended on link-time tests.  Is that correct?

   No, the problem with GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES failures predates the libtool
upgrade and I don't recall any problems related to the libtool upgrade. The
timeline:

2003-08-21: PR 12019 opened: libstdc++ GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES failure.
2006-04-18: DJ Delorie adds -L and -B options for the m32c due to libssp
            failing to build with GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES problems. The patch
            also enables libstdc++ on the m32c.
2006-09-29: Joseph S. Myers fixes libssp/configure.ac.
2007-01-??: I duplicate DJ Delorie's -L/-B options for the powerpc.
2007-05-24: Libtool is upgraded with revision 125032, 16:37:27.
2007-05-30: I open PR 32154, early patch against revision 125037, 19:19:31.
2007-09-10: PR 32154 (and PR 12019) fixed.

--
Rask Ingemann Lambertsen