* Peter O'Gorman wrote on Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 06:26:15PM CEST:
> Jack Howarth wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 11:17:03AM -0500, Peter O'Gorman wrote:
> >>
> >> I wonder what the chances are of moving mainline gcc to a newer libtool
> >> version? Introducing the darwin bits piecemeal would not be particularly
> >> fun.
> >
> >     You are going to fix this on gcc trunk in any case, right?
>
> If there is a consensus that now is not the time to update libtool in
> trunk, then I will have to :)

First off, I am not in a position to decide anything here, so the
following is just my two cents:

I would be a bit concerned to update libtool in branch-4_3.  Is this
issue a regression?

That said, updating in trunk is a different matter.  There, the question
IMHO is mostly which libtool version to update to.  The git version may
still have a regression or two, but 2.2.4 doesn't have the -fPIC on
HP/IA patch from Steve (which would be trivial to backport of course).
Alternatively GCC can wait for 2.2.6 (hopefully in the "couple of weeks
at most" time frame).

I haven't tried GCC trunk with libtool 2.2.4 yet, but I guess that
should be reasonably smooth.  (Of course I'd be willing to try.)

AFAICS there are no GCC-specific changes in these files:
libtool.m4 ltmain.sh lt~obsolete.m4 ltoptions.m4 ltsugar.m4 ltversion.m4
(there has been a patch to libtool.m4 but it was subsequently backed out
again.)

Cheers,
Ralf