On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, Sterling Augustine wrote:

> Could I ping on the issue described below?
>
> Bob can no longer maintain the Xtensa port for GCC, and I don't think he
> is even reading the GCC mailing list any more. For the forseeable
> future, I am responsible for the Xtensa port of GCC here at Tensilica.
>
> What should I do to move the process forward?
>
> Thanks,
> Sterling

Sorry I missed this back when it was originally posted, and the other SC
members likely did also.  I'll try and get you going.

There are several steps to moving the process forward.  They generally
need to be done in the order I'm presenting them.

1.  The first thing that you need to ensure gets done is copyright
assignment papers for your contributions to GCC.  Your employer will need
to also assign its rights.  (One or both of these may already be done).
See here for legal and other contribution guidelines:

http://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html

2.  Next you need to get write-after-approval access.  More info here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/svnwrite.html

3.  After familiarizing yourself with the above and fulfilling the legal
requirements, you can then fill out this form to get access.  I guess you
can use Bob as the reference who approved it:

http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/pdw/ps_form.cgi

4.  Once these are done, the steering committee may decide to grant you
maintainership.  We generally prefer to see one submit a few patches and
see how well they work together with other developers.  However since Bob
recommended you, the port is unmaintained at the moment and your
maintainership perview would be localized to the xtensa subdir it may be
possible to expedite this.

Let me know the status of the above issues and I will forward your
proposal to the SC.

                Regards,
                --Kaveh
--