On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Hariharan <harihar...@picochip.com> wrote:
> Hi Seongbae,
> Does that mean that someone cant use the profile just to annotate branches
> (and get better code by that), without having to get the additional baggage
> of "unroll-loops", "peel-loops" etc?

You can do that by selectively turning optimizations off (e.g.
-fprofile-use -fno-unroll-loops -fno-peel-loops ).

> In my case, i am interested in not bloating the code size, but get any
> performance that is to be had from profiling. Is that possible?
>
> Note: My profile generate phase was also just -fprofile-arcs since i am not
> interested in other kinds of profile.

Have you measured the impact on the performance and the code size from
using full -fprofile-generate/-fprofile-use ?
If yes, and you have seen any performance degradation or unnecessary
code bloat from other optimization,
please file a bug.
If not, then I'd say you probably want to try measuring it - in
particular, value profiling has been
becoming more and more useful. And in my experience, majority of the
code size increase as well as the performance benefit
with -fprofile-use comes from extra inlining (which -fprofile-arcs
then -fbranch-probabilities also enable).

Seongbae