Dear all,

    We are two students in a Compiler Design course who have been
assigned to work on a gcc beginners project. We have chosen the
project on making pseudo-templated containers, and we had some
questions about the semantics you want from them.  The gcc page
specifically mentioned splay trees and hash tables, so we will ask
about those.

    The goal of the project was stated to be the elimination of
abstraction penalties.  The hash table and splay tree both store
entries by pointer (except that splay tree can cast ints to the
pointer and back out).  Would you prefer a generic container that held
items by value? We could do this, but it would break code that expects
aliases to be preserved.

     We are currently working under the assumption that it is
acceptable for all of our function-like macros to take the type of the
stored elements.  Do you agree? Is it okay for lookup function macros
to take the type they are looking up? If we can take the type, we can
make the semantics of returning pointers much more elegant.

Thanks for your help,
Patrick Moran
Walter Maguire