> but FSF still owned the copyright of the codes of EGCS; so it wasn't
> reuniting with FSF interfering with technical decisions.

I don't follow.  There's a difference between working on code whose
copyright is held by the FSF and working as part of an FSF-endorsed
project.

> At the time, nobody explained that the SC concluded the EGCS
> experience was a failure and therefore the EGCS community
> should surrender and abandon the very reasons it emerged.

No, indeed the opposite occured: it was concluded that the EGCS experience
was a SUCCESS and that the FSF should use that model for its future
development of GCC.

> It was my understanding that it was a compromise, but the
> EGCS community retains all rights to make technical
> decisions without disruptive interferences from FSF

Your understanding is incorrect.  Independence from the FSF was never an
issue.