On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 09:51:07 -0600
Tom Tromey <tro...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Basile> Shouldn't a python script for gdb be installed  outside of a directory
> Basile> supposed to contain only  ELF libraries?  Wouldn't a gdb specific
> Basile> subdirectory be a more appropriate place?
>
> Perhaps.  It is a problem of several parts.  Basically, gdb and all
> possible users of this interface must agree on where to install such
> "hook" files.
>
> I chose to name the .py files after the libraries and install them
> alongside the libraries because it is simple and will not result in any
> naming clash.
>
> There is also the option of installing these files underneath the
> separate debug directory.  However, gcc has no knowledge of that.  I
> assume that distros will solve this themselves by moving the file after
> make install.

I was just wondering if there was any consensus among distros about where to
move these.  We cannot keep the .py files in the location they're currently
installed; ldconfig is far too noisy about it:

  /sbin/ldconfig:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.5.0-pre9999/libstdc++.so.6.0.14-gdb.py
is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.
  /sbin/ldconfig:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.5.0-pre9999/32/libstdc++.so.6.0.14-gdb.py
 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

--
fonts,                             Character is what you are in the dark.
gcc-porting,