On 11/11/09 08:18, Ian Bolton wrote:

Good news!  I have been able to remove my "total_costs" hack
above by instead commenting out the following line from ira_build()
in ira-build.c:

   remove_unnecessary_regions (false);
Which is probably an indication of a problem elsewhere. However, it's definitely a good find in that you can put the two compilers side by side and debug them to figure out why calling this function inhibits propagation.;

I do not believe this will impact anyone with a regular
register set, but for any architecture where some instructions
can only use a subset of the register bank, I believe that
all regions are always necessary, since cost information
for each allocno is relevant and important.
FWIW, almost every chip has certain irregularities in their register set, so improvements in how the irregularities are handled is definitely a good thing across the board.

jeff