Quoting "Joseph S. Myers" <jos...@codesourcery.com>:
If you want to have documentation extracted from source files, you need to
engage with the SC and FSF at an early stage to get suitable license
exception wording to permit the relevant text to be used in the manuals as
well as the main (GPL) sources.

I haven't gotten any reply to my proposal from the 5th of January
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2010-01/msg00082.html

Is the GCC mailing list no longer the right place to reach the steering committee?

 Of course, the ordering and (especially)
section divisions in the internals manual are human-designed not arbitrary
so you need to retain the ability to put the documentation of each hook in
an appropriate position in an appropriate section of the manual.

I have posted my current patch here:

If you can make this work it should reduce the risk of people not
documenting new hooks

We actually have a number of instances where the target hook documentation is
out of sync with the sources.  I have attached a file with my notes on this.

, but for it to work the FSF agreement is critical

So who do I have to talk to for this?

as
is ensuring it genuinely works as well as the existing system without
regressions (including working in update_web_docs).

tm.texi is half a megabyte, so it would be nice not to have it as a generated
file in the repository.  Also, it'd be annoying to have to regenerate & check
it in for every target.def change even though the build works fine with
the generated file in the build directory.
Will it be acceptable to have update_web_docs build a generator program
(written in C) to rebuild tm.texi?
various hooks: why are we referring to 'the diagnostic message'?
the context does not suggest a particular one, and I thought we had more
than one in gcc.

various documentation used rtx / tree instead of const_rtx / const_tree.

TARGET_ASM_ASSEMBLE_VISIBILITY: const char *...@var{visibility} -> int
clarified current_function_pops_args description and removed comment on
unclear "its arguments" reference.
TARGET_ASM_NAMED_SECTION unsigned int @var{align} -> tree decl
TARGET_ASM_MARK_DECL_PRESERVED tree @var{decl} -> const char *symbol
TARGET_SCHED_ADJUST_COST_2 was undocumented.
TARGET_SCHED_SPECULATE_INSN: Fixed return value description.
TARGET_SCHED_NEEDS_BLOCK_P: int -> bool; rtx @var{insn} -> int dep_status (text
is still bogus)
TARGET_SCHED_GEN_CHECK -> TARGET_SCHED_GEN_SPEC_CHECK
TARGET_SCHED_SET_SCHED_FLAGS unsigned int *...@var{flags} -> /dev/null
TARGET_VECTORIZE_BUILTIN_VECTORIZED_FUNCTION enum built_in_function @var{code}
-> unsigned
TARGET_VECTORIZE_BUILTIN_VECTORIZATION_COST was undocumented.
TARGET_[VECTORIZE_]VECTOR_ALIGNMENT_REACHABLE was undocumented.
TARGET_VECTORIZE_BUILTIN_VEC_PERM was undocumented.
TARGET_VECTORIZE_BUILTIN_VEC_PERM_OK was undocumented.
TARGET_EH_RETURN_FILTER_MODE was undocumented.
TARGET_UNWIND_WORD_MODE was undocumented.
TARGET_BUILTIN_FUNCTION -> TARGET_BUILTIN_DECL
TARGET_RESOLVE_OVERLOADED_BUILTIN addded unsigned int /*location_t*/ loc; tree
@var{arglist} -> void *arglist
TARGET_BUILTIN_RECIPROCAL enum tree_code @var{fn} -> unsigned fn
TARGET_CANNOT_COPY_INSN_P was undocumented.
TARGET_EXPAND_BUILTIN_VA_START was undocumented.
TARGET_GIMPLIFY_VA_ARG_EXPR tree *...@var{pre_p}, tree *...@var{post_p} ->
gimple_seq *pre_p, gimple_seq *post_p
TARGET_STDARG_OPTIMIZE_HOOK was undocumented.
TARGET_INTERNAL_ARG_POINTER was undocumented.
TARGET_GET_DRAP_RTX: text was garbled, e.g. confusion macro vs. hook.
TARGET_C_MODE_FOR_SUFFIX was undocumented.
TARGET_VALID_OPTION_ATTRIBUTE_P -> TARGET_OPTION_VALID_ATTRIBUTE_P
TARGET_OPTION_PRINT: new parameters FILE *file, int indent
TARGET_OPTION_PRAGMA_PARSE: (target @var{args}) -> tree, tree
TARGET_EXTRA_LIVE_ON_ENTRY: (bitmap *...@var{regs}) -> bitmap
TARGET_HANDLE_PRAGMA_EXTERN_PREFIX was undocumented.
TARGET_HELP bool -> void
TARGET_BUILTIN_SETJMP_FRAME_VALUE bool -> rtx
TARGET_PRETEND_OUTGOING_VARARGS_NAMED: add (CUMULATIVE_ARGS *...@var{ca})
TARGET_LEGITIMATE_ADDRESS_P: returns bool
TARGET_SCHED_REORDER2 @var{clock} -> int clock
TARGET_SCHED_DFA_PRE_CYCLE_INSN int -> rtx
TARGET_SCHED_DFA_POST_CYCLE_INSN int -> rtx
TARGET_SCHED_DFA_PRE_CYCLE_ADVANCE -> TARGET_SCHED_DFA_PRE_ADVANCE_CYCLE
TARGET_SCHED_DFA_POST_CYCLE_ADVANCE -> TARGET_SCHED_DFA_POST_ADVANCE_CYCLE
TARGET_SCHED_ALLOC_SCHED_CONTEXT, TARGET_SCHED_INIT_SCHED_CONTEXT,
TARGET_SCHED_SET_SCHED_CONTEXT, TARGET_SCHED_CLEAR_SCHED_CONTEXT,
TARGET_SCHED_FREE_SCHED_CONTEXT were duplicated.
TARGET_SCHED_FIRST_CYCLE_MULTIPASS_DFA_LOOKAHEAD_GUARD_SPEC int -> bool
TARGET_SCHED_GET_INSN_SPEC_DS was undocumented.
TARGET_SCHED_GET_INSN_CHECKED_DS was undocumented.
TARGET_SCHED_SKIP_RTX_P was undocumented.
TARGET_ASM_RELOC_RW_MASK: 'returns' void.
TARGET_MANGLE_DECL_ASSEMBLER_NAME: void -> tree
TARGET_ASM_EMIT_UNWIND_LABEL was missing types.
Why is the TARGET_DWARF_CALLING_CONVENTION documentation nested in the
DWARF2_DEBUGGING_INFO documentation?
TARGET_MIN_DIVISIONS_FOR_RECIP_MUL int -> unsigned int
TARGET_SHIFT_TRUNCATION_MASK int -> unsigned HOST_WIDE_INT
TARGET_BRANCH_TARGET_REGISTER_CLASS int -> enum reg_class
TARGET_USE_LOCAL_THUNK_ALIAS_P: Not a hook.