On 03/03/2010 04:52 AM, b95705...@ntu.edu.tw wrote:

> I am highly interestd in implementing C compiler for EFI Byte Code in
> gcc and participate in Google Summer Code.
>
> EFI is a much larger, more complex,OS-like replacement for the older BIOS
> firmware interface present in all IBM PC-compatible personal computers.
> and the EFI specification provides for a processor-independent device
> driver environment(like virtualmachine), called EFI Byte Code or EBC.
>
> Intel(R) C Compiler for EFI Byte Code, the only one C compiler for EFI
> Byte Code
> (http://sx.intel.com/p-553-intel-c-compiler-for-efi-byte-code.aspx)
> is not open source, and also a pay software.
>
> So i am wondering whether this kind of idea is valuable to the gcc
> community?  or are there any other related ideas is more valuable?

There is no reason in principle this shouldn't be part of gcc.

I think no-one has responded yet because they don't know what it would
be for, and how much work it would involve.  Is there an EFI
interpreter that is free software?  Is this in any way related to
plans for a free BIOS?  Who would maintain this EFI back-end?

... etc.

Andrew.