Hello All,

When I started using gcc-4.8.1 I was glad to observe a substantial
speed-up of about 10% in my code, as compared with gcc-4.7.3.

Usually, switching to newer compilers has a relatively minor effect
and definitely not a 10% speed-up. Was there anything significant
in gcc-4.8.1 which may explain this dramatic improvement?

My code is C++98 which is compiled with profile-driven optimizations,
with -O2. My target is generic 32 bit Intel architecture. The result is run
on Intel Xeon. The application is CPU intensive.

Michael