On 02/24/2014 10:42 AM, Richard Sandiford wrote:
>> AIUI the old form never really worked reliably due to things like
>> newlib's setjmp not preserving the odd-numbered registers, so it doesn't
>>> seem worth keeping around.  Also, the old form is identified by the GNU
>>> attribute (4, 4) so it'd be easy for the linker to reject links between
>>> the old and the new form.
>>
>> That is true. You will have noticed a number of changes over recent
>> months to start fixing fp64 as currently defined but having found this
>> new solution then such fixes are no longer important. The lack of
>> support for gp32 fp64 in linux is further reason to permit redefining
>> it. Would you be happy to retain the same builtin defines for FP64 if
>> changing its behaviour (i.e. __mips_fpr=64)?
>
>I think that should be OK.  I suppose a natural follow-on question
>is what __mips_fpr should be for -mfpxx.  Maybe just 0?
I think we should think carefully about just making -mfp64 just disappear.
The support has existed for bare iron for quite a while, and we do internal
testing of MSA using -mfp64.  I'd rather avoid a flag day.  It would be
good to continue recognizing that object files with attribute (4, 4)
(-mfp64) are not compatible with other objects.  Note that adding
EF_MIPS_FP64 is a recent change, which was made to enable Linux kernel
support, and there probably is little code out there that is dependent on
it.  I am more comfortable in changing the interpretation of EF_MIPS_FP64
to simply mean that the process is to be set with FR=1 mode as apposed to
FR=0.  This will allow us to ease our way off of -mfp64 to -mfr1 mode for
those environments where FR=1 is really needed.

Doug