> On  Thu, 7 Mar 2013 11:23:12 Martin Bazley wrote:
>
> The following bytes were arranged on 6 Mar 2013 by Matthew Phillips :
>
> [snip]
>
> > I have not looked at the unixlib code, but if it's just a matter of
> > using a single 32-bit word (an off_t ?) to keep track of enumerating two
> > directories independently via OS_GBPB there must be a solution which does
> > not
> > involve assuming an increase of one per file, even without going as far as
> > scanning the whole directory at the outset.
>
> I have been wondering about this, with the caveat that I also have not
> looked at the UnixLib code. This is for wildcard scanning, right? Why
> would it need to go backwards in those circumstances?

I believe I've tracked down the code to the directory enumeration which
is used for the wildcard scanning.

I've had a brief look at the code, and it appears to scan through the
directory with a subscan of directories used for suffix swapping. So I
don't think it does go backwards, just into subdirectories and then
continues on when the subdirectory is finished.

Regards,
Alan