On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 05:02:04PM +0100, John Ballance wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm having fun with porting a package that uses mercurial (hg) for
> its sources. I have set up a minimal package that has little in
> setvars other than the line starting AB_HG=
>
> The sources are correctly fetched, then the autobuilder/build enters
> setvars, and proceeds to produce
>
> GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
> Error: no display specified
>
> when it gets to the AB_HG= line
>
> Any suggestions/cures/etc would be appreciated

How are you running it? SSH session or via a Linux desktop?

The GLib- line is not necessarily a problem - I don't know that one, but
some X programs are a bit 'chatty' as regards warnings.  Programs spit these
messages out on the console but otherwise seem to work normally.

'No display specified' means you don't have an X session, and something
wants to open a graphical window.  I don't know why that might be, it'll
depend on what you're doing.

A couple of solutions... one is to install vncserver and run things from
within a VNC session.  That should mean your DISPLAY variable is set up
right.

An alternative is to install Xvfb and do:
Xvfb :99
export DISPLAY=localhost:99

which will give you a virtual X session (that goes nowhere) but should at
least stop complaints about lack of X server.

Note if you SSH then ssh -X will forward X over your SSH tunnel, so you can
start program on machine A and have it displayed on machine B.  So you can
build somewhere that isn't your local machine if you choose.  For instance,
ssh -X from a Mac to a Linux box and XQuartz on the Mac will display Linux
programs.

Can you pin it down to which component is complaining?  My guess would be
it's something in your build, not to do with the AB_HG as such.

Theo