On 22/10/2020 19:19, Chris Johns wrote:
If I try to run python3 or gcc with a *Prefix set, they just hang. No error,
just don't do anything.

Is there something with gcc compiled code (or shared libs, unixlib or some
other part of the setup) that upsets DDEUtils?

I've gone down this particular rabbit hole trying to get python to compile
something from setup.py and my theory is it's using subprocess to do something
which changes the csd which on risc os is global.

UnixLib does make use of DDEUtils and manipulates the prefix within
vfork (libunixlib/sys/vfork.c), which I believe is commonly used for
subprocesses. It looks like it's preserving and restoring the parent's
prefix around the child call. If DDEUtils provides per task command
lines, then technically vfork children are all the same task and have
the same prefix, hence why vfork need to preserve it.

Not sure any of that actually helps explain your problem though.

Lee.