Please see question at the bottom.

    git checkout Version_2_6_10pre

works, but interestingly,

blake@vm-mint-14 ~/Backup/gcl/gcl.git $ git pull
Already up-to-date.
blake@vm-mint-14 ~/Backup/gcl/gcl.git $ git branch
* master
blake@vm-mint-14 ~/Backup/gcl/gcl.git $ git checkout Version_2_6_10pre
Branch Version_2_6_10pre set up to track remote branch Version_2_6_10pre
from origin.
Switched to a new branch 'Version_2_6_10pre'
blake@vm-mint-14 ~/Backup/gcl/gcl.git $ git branch
* Version_2_6_10pre
  master
blake@vm-mint-14 ~/Backup/gcl/gcl.git $ git checkout master
Switched to branch 'master'
blake@vm-mint-14 ~/Backup/gcl/gcl.git $ git branch
  Version_2_6_10pre
* master
blake@vm-mint-14 ~/Backup/gcl/gcl.git $ git --version
git version 1.7.10.4

The first time I did a 'git branch' it only showed master.  Then, when I
switch to a branch that I magically know about, git then knows about the
branch.  Is there some sort of logic to this?  I don't get git because it
defies any kind of understanding I try to apply to it.

I know the world is nuts about git, and I'd really like to use it in a few
circumstances, but I just can't seem to get it.  Your comments are greatly
appreciated.

Blake McBride