Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Jan 31, 2008 12:15 PM, Sev Binello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> We keep seeing messages like these in /var/log/messages...
>>
>>      /acnmcr4p gconfd (mcr-23757): Failed to close gconfd logfile; data
>> may not have been properly saved (Stale NFS file handle)
>>      gconfd (mcr-15581): Failed to close new saved state file
>> '/home/cfsb/mcr/.gconfd/saved_state.tmp': Stale NFS file handle/
>>
>> What is the logfile that is referenced here ?
>>

> It is ~/.gconfd/saved_state
>
> It looks like close()  is failing on that file, perhaps you unmount
> homedirs when people log out, then gconfd exits shortly after and has
> no files? Something like that is what I'd look for.
>
> Havoc

I don't  see a corresponding unmount of the home dir on the NFS server.
But what I've noticed is that the inode of the saved_state file changes,
that would explain the stale nfs handle.

This is a shared account,
is it possible that people are stepping on each other ?

Do you know whether ....
This file recreated each time it is modified ?
Is it kept open during the whole session ?
When are mods committed to file  ?

Thanks
-Sev

--