Jason Roberts wrote:
Riki,

Please let us know whether Frank's suggestion works or not. I have been
experimenting with writing GeoTIFFs using GDAL 1.6.0 and the Python bindings
and have not been successful so far at using GDAL to calculate statistics
that ArcGIS recognizes. It would be interesting to know whether this
suggestion will work.

If anyone is interested, after creating a GTiff with one band, writing
values to the band, flushing the cache, I have been calling

    band.SetStatistics(*band.GetStatistics(False, True))

and then looking at the resulting file from ArcGIS 9.3.1 (the latest
version). ArcGIS reports that there are no statistics. I can then calculate
them with ArcGIS, if desired, but like Riki, it would be useful if I did not
need to do this.

Jason,

I notice that if I run gdalinfo -stats from trunk I get the stats written
to the .aux.xml file while I don't from the 1.6 branch.  I think this is
something that has been fixed recently.  I'd suggest working from trunk if
that is at all practical.

If it is important, I could backport some of the statistics retaining
fixes back to 1.6 branch.

Best regards,