A good place to look for would be the debian package compilation options, since this is where the problem can be seen (it has at least --with-hide-internal-symbols).

Julien

Quoting Even Rouault <even.roua...@mines-paris.org>:

Even, all tests i performed (ubuntu 11.04 only) passed successfully so I
can confirm that the patch works.

Great

My only concern is that I'm not able to reproduce the crash in cases in
which GDAL is built without symbol renaming.

Hum, did you activate --with-hide-internal-symbols ? I somehow remember that
it paradoxically helped revealing the duplicate symbol issues.