On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 16:14:39 +0100, Even Rouault wrote:
Jukka,

I highly suspect that the ALTER TABLE must imply a rewriting of the file by
spatialite/spatialite-gui, and when doing so, it doesn't preserve the
"application id" (4 bytes in the header of sqlite file), that geopackage specification mentions to be set to a particular value. Consequently the
geopackage driver later fails when checking the signature.

the current version of spatialite-gui doesn't offerts any support to GPKG; Brad Hards has recently added few GPKG oriented-APIs into libspatialite-4.2.0-devel,
but this only affects the library.

the GUI-tool itself *always* assumes it's processing a genuine spatialite
DB-file.

I could do a few things with Spatialite-gui without troubles: create a view, create an index, add column. But then I renamed one table and after that I
cannot use the DB file with GPKG driver any more.

Jukka,

if you had actually invoked the user friendly dialog box "rename table"
it's not at all surprising discovering that you've simply introduced
some fatal corruption in your DB
the spatialite_gui tool is strictly intended to support "genuine SpatiaLite DB-files"; I strongly fear that any attempt to use this highly specialized
tool on behalf of some GPKG-file would simply end in disasters.

some future version of the GUI tool will surely implement some kind of
GPKG support: but for now using the current version on any GPKG-file
surely is a risky and unsafe business.

bye Sandro