Mateusz Loskot kirjoitti 30.10.2017 klo 11:24:
On 30 October 2017 at 10:06, Dmitry Baryshnikov <bishop....@gmail.com> wrote:
Also there is one big problem for me in #7080 - this is third build system
additionally to GNUMakefile, makefile.vc.  And now CMakeLists.txt must be
supported too. Three files which must be synced each other with and taking
into consideration the upper scripts, it's awful!
Dmitry,

This issue is orthogonal to actual CMake challenge.
If core developers of a project X do not agree to switch to a new
build configuration Y,
then any initiative to develop setup for Y will live in a side car.

AFAIU, there is no plan or even will for such switch in GDAL.
Similar situation is with GEOS.

https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/graphs/contributors

It's basically Even who nowadays does developments for GDAL, and Kurt to some degree. So to change the build system, one needs only to convince Even :) I'm rather sure the rest of the PSC would not object.

I see the build system usually as a necessary evil. I'm yet to see a developer friendly build system. I don't know if anybody really has any passion to improve the current system of GDAL. I also don't understand the antipathy against libtool. I'm mostly happy with the current system since I'm on Linux and I usually don't need to mess with it. Building for Windows was a pain (even when I used to use mingw).

I have very little experience with CMake, mostly from building QGIS. It has a bit fancier UI than autotools but otherwise I don't have an opinion.

There are few things that could perhaps be better IMO

- the need to run make clean after updates (isn't it possible to have good dependencies?)
- the possibility to make real light-weight builds with only few drivers
- I also hand-edit the -O2 away from GDALmake.opt when I need to use gdb, maybe there is a configure option for that or something but I don't know

Best,

Ari

Finally, developing configuration for Y build system by completely
revolutionising structure of project X is a terrible thing to do in terms
of potential switch to Y. IOW, the bigger and deeper a revolution, the less
chance to get acceptance by core developers, also psychologically.

Best regards,