On 09/26/2011 04:08 AM, Lex Trotman wrote:
[...]
I'm really happy about this change. First we get rid of the horrible
old glade editor and second it's the most important step towards
making Geany compile under GTK 3. Thanks for your work!

Hi Jiri,

How much do you (or anyone) know about supporting both GTK2 and 3,

I'm responding as one of the "anyone" category :)

1. with the same source,
2. with the same binary,
3. differing platforms

The reason I ask is that my very preliminary evaluation is that

1. is possible but may need a bunch of #if sections :(,
2. is basically impossible>(, and
3. is unknown.>?

I didn't have time to dig up the actually commits and source involved, but for an example of a program supporting both, see:
https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/Changes

For an example a little more close to home, see Scintilla 2.29, which AFAIK, supports all GTK+ versions between 2.8 and 3.x :)

IMO, it would just be good to even just get the "Preparation in GTK+ 2.x" parts of the migration done in the very near future (from the Migration Guide). There's nothing mind-blowing in there, mostly just good GTK+/programming conventions.

That way when GTK+ 3 is more common, supporting it will be much easier, probably only requiring a few #if sections and some tweaks to the build system to detect the right majour version (ie. gtk+-3.0.pc over gtk+-2.0.pc and so on).

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush