On 11-10-04 05:36 AM, Alexander Eberspächer wrote:
On 1 October 2011 13:44, Matthew Brush<mbr...@codebrainz.ca>  wrote:

It seems to me like this group of users would be very small and require that
they are:
  - Enterprise/LTS users running a GUI
  - And who are willing to install unsupported software.

That may be the case more often than one might thinnk it is... Think
of all the people who have neither a choice in OS nor root access to
their machine. I work at a university, where this is commonly the
case.

Keep in mind that previous versions of Geany will always still be there, and AFAIK there aren't any majour flaws in them, nor is there a great loss of functionality compared to the latest release.

  - And whos distro doesn't backport newer libraries.
  - And who are developers, can compile Geany but can't compile GTK+.

Compiling Geany is easy, compiling GTK is another order of magnitude.
I might be able to compile GTK, but I certainly do not want to. I
think I tried once, escaped dependency hell without injuries but then
decided that two GTK installation one one machine suck.

I won't pretend that compiling GTK+ isn't somewhat of a pain, but it's quite well documented and the dependencies aren't *that* bad. If you've done it correctly, it shouldn't matter that you have two GTK+ installations on one machine since it should only use the one in your home directory. I have 4 or 5 different installed versions of the GTK+ stack installed on my system that I use for testing.

  - And who are not satisfied with existing supported Geany packages.

Again, as a user on say RHEL, you might not even have a precompiled
Geany package available.

It seems from a quick search there are some available though I'm not sure what versions.

I would just be curious to know how many (or what percentage of) users fall
into this group.

I do, unfortunately.

So, in conclusion: I think GTK 2.18 (RHEL 6) seems reasonable.

Yeah, 2.18 seems to be about right all things considered.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush