Am 06.01.2012 16:32, schrieb Eugene Arshinov:
Hi guys!

It's me again, after a long time.  Please help me organize my Geany
repository.  The last time I worked on Geany it was in SVN repository,
and I was using it through git-svn.  Now there are two Git repositories:
the main one [1] and the one containing my sm-branch [2].  I assume I
should make the fork of the former and put my sm branch there, but how
do I transfer my sm branch, preserving merge commits (master ->  sm)?

[1]: https://github.com/geany/geany
[2]: https://github.com/techee/sm-branch/

I don't think you can preserve merge commits. The history of the new git and the old git-svn repos are incomatible (e.g. the new history has proper author information) so they're meaningless anyway.

I suggest you rebase in the old repo and use patches to apply the changes to the new repo on the same revision/commit. Using 'git format-patch' and 'git am' you can preserve your non-merge commit history. Or just do 'git diff' for a single big patch,

Best regards.