(I know we hope our packages stay dry!)

I think I'll replace the newspaper with hard styro popcorn.  Also just called Home Depot and will get a 4' x 8' sheet of foiled insulfoam to line the inner box.

Elizabeth

In a message dated 11/19/2003 1:47:07 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

  Subj:  Re: [gecko]Unwanted gasses released by heat packs directly touchingstyrofoam popcorn???
  Date:  11/19/2003 1:47:07 PM Eastern Standard Time
  From:  Julie Bergman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  To:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent from the Internet (Details)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi Folks---

What do you think here?  Until I received this email today I've never thought having the heat pack in direct contact with my styrofoam popcorn packing was contraindicated.  Is it wise to place a heat pack inside a small paper bag for that reason?

I don't like to have heat in conctact with the styro popcorn on the off
chance that it will release some unwanted gasses.  That's why I use
newspaper.

If stryofoam released enough gas from heat packs to kill geckos I have not seen it in 10 years of shipping. I think you are safe doing this. Newspaper is a poor conductor of heat too, styrofoam is a more suitable winter packing material as it absorbs and retains heat better than newspaper. I use newspaper when conditions are hot. There are different kinds of styrofoam, I prefer the "soft" kind that absorbs shock better
than the hard kind. IMHO.

Julie B.

Elizabeth
Seattle