From: "Julie Bergman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2004 5:32 PM
Subject: Re: [gecko]uroplatus and incubation egg

Hi Martin,

It is not a general rule that you don't let gecko eggs contact the
incubation medium. With Phelsuma you don't want the eggs to sit directly
on the incubation medium.  Their eggs do not grow the way other types of
gecko eggs do, so the amount of water they can absorb is very limited. I
can't think of any other examples that you can't put on vermiculite at
the moment. Some folks use perlite which works very differently than
vermiculite (not as absorbent) with leathery type eggs. Leopards are a
good example of these. When working with a particular type of gecko,
find out what breeders that have had some experience with the type of
gecko you are interested and see what they are doing like the Uro post
here. You will also have to fine tune your efforts to work in harmony
with your incubator and chosen incubation medium. Some incubators suck
out moisture more than others. A lot of what we do is trial and error,
even using proven techniques from successful breeders.

Julie B.

martin wrote:

Hello,

I was just wondering if  it's a general rule for all kinds of geckos that
the eggs shouldn't be in contact with a damp substrate.

Martin ;)