Welcome to the wacky world of Day Geckos!

I am sure Lyle will respond- however, just wanted to jump in and pass along some info from someone who has been breeding geckos and specializing in Day Geckos for some years. First, I would not pet any Day Gecko as they, in 99% of the cases, do not like it, in fact they are extremely frightened. Your assessment of the gecko liking this may really be the gecko exhibiting fear by not doing anything ("freezing"). As humans we naturally misinterpret many of their behaviors and reactions to different situations. The less experience we have with them the more we tend to do this so it is best to err on the side of caution, for everyone's sakes! :)

The best way to treat Day Geckos is to treat them like tropical fish, set the them up in a nice environment and then watch them enjoy that environment. My favorite thing about them, besides their beautiful colors and delicate feet, is to watch them hunt crickets or moths.

As a rule young Day Geckos cannot be placed with adults and species mixing is not advisable. I don't know any professional breeders who mix Day gecko species.

As far as internet advice or links go: the GGA has some nice care sheets posted here.

http://www.gekkota.com/html/care_sheets.html

There is no substitute for proper books specifically written about the subject at hand, in this case the best book is "Day Geckos in Captivity" by Greg and Leann Christenson. Get this book and you will have the subject covered. Care sheets are a nice supplement if properly written.

Julie Bergman
www.geckoranch.com
GGA lifetime member

Boo wrote:

is it just me or was lyles gecko hamming it up for the camera. i thought i
saw a sparkle in its eye.

anyhow, my day girl gwendolyn is doing fine. and the petstore that had her
for two years, just got three more in, one was already dead during shipping
and the other two are still juvies. one is a bright green and the other a
darker green like my gwen.

curiosity is does anyone have good info from the inet regarding day gecko's.
sure i can look at sites but i'd rather have gecko nutz  give me the headsup
on info they find the best and why.

i have been around reptiles all my life but gwen is my first venture
completely on my own for the responsibility of. She's doing fantastic and i
keep petting her even though i suppose you aren't supposed to. wonderful
personality.

i am thinking of bringing the baby gecko in, particularly the bright green
one. but want to do much research before bringing a baby in and putting it
with an adult particulalry when i don't know the sex of the baby geckos.

so send me web links of gecko care that you trust best.